Jelmer specializes in the Dutch Act on Financial Supervision and related legislation.
He advises a wide range of financials, such as banks, (fiduciary) asset managers, investment funds, pension funds, payment service providers and fintechs.
Besides his advisory work he regularly litigates liability matters with a financial law component, before District Courts, Courts of Appeal and the Dutch Financial Complaints Committee (Kifid).
Through his years of experience gained as a (interim) legal counsel, Jelmer knows his client’s needs and challenges. Clients appreciate his pragmatic approach and his practical interpretation of complex financial legislation.
After graduating from the University of Utrecht in 2005 (economic public and company law), Jelmer successfully completed the Grotius postgraduate specialization course on securities law in 2012 and the prestigious Oxford Fintech Programme in 2018.
Jelmer is a news editor for the SDU OpMaat Financial Law and the Dutch Review on Financial Law in Practice and he is a member of the Dutch Association for Financial Law.
Recent work includes representing and advising on:
- advising an internationally active intermediary in consumer credit;
- guiding a license application process with the Dutch Authority on Financial Markets;
- advising various fintechs and payment service providers with regard to the amended Directive on Payment Services (PSD2);
- advising an investment fund with regard to its cross border offering of participation rights, including drafting fund documentation and marketing material;
- negotiating complex asset management agreements for a Dutch pension fund;
- defending an asset manager against an investment claim;
- the liability of an investment fund and its manager for misleading conduct;
- drafting a legal framework with regard to the Dutch Act on Financial Supervision for a listed multinational.
- Jurisprudentie over perpetuals, steepeners en floaters weer actueel door COVID-19?, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2020/6
- Signaalaanbieders en de Wft, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2017/9
- Tien tips voor een solide vermogensbeheerovereenkomst, The Financial Investigator 2017/2
- AFM-vergunning voor incassobureaus en deurwaarders, Vakblad De Credit Manager 2017/1
- Het concept wetsvoorstel beleggingsobjecten en beleggingsobligaties, Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht 2016/10
- Voldoet uw uitbestedingscontract al aan nieuwe eisen DNB?, The Financial Investigator, 2014/7
- Complexe financiële producten, een groeiende bron van claims, Bank- en effectenbedrijf 2009/9